Canadian Veterans Advocacy

Friday, February 1, 2013

Two More Fammlies Speak out Against: Sunnybrook Veterans Centre

Sunnybrook. Feb 1 Another family speaks out.

Attached is two more letters I have received from sisters who's father is at Sunnybrook that they have encouraged me to share.

I would note that families or veterans are welcome to speak out on there own behalf but I am very uncomfortable allowing Sunnybrook, as a vested interest, promoting their letters.

Should any family member who's father or mother is a resident as Sunnybrook, past or present, have issues they would like to discuss with me or letters they would like to address, please contact me through the CVA website. Or post direct, as long as the letters are in conformance with the Code of Conduct rules// send a letter by post with permission for me to scan and post in your name.

Sisters testimony

January 30, 2013

Mr. Michael Blais, President
Canadian Veterans’ Advocacy

Dear Michael,

Thank you for listening to my story over the phone yesterday.
I would like to note that we spoke about my 87 year-old father who is on the third floor of the Sunnybrook Veterans’ Residence.
When my father, John, arrived at Sunnybrook Veterans’ Residence on April 3, 2012, he was unable to walk but could talk.

Within a short period of time, with the help of physiotherapy and a positive atmosphere as compared to a general hospital, or home care, he was mobile in a wheelchair. He still has his genuinely caring personality and sense of humour as he always had earlier in his life. With great pleasure we saw him, once again, play the piano.

Sadly, this past Boxing Day, my father suffered a stroke.

Now he cannot speak and is paralyzed on his right side and on one side of his mouth.

The nurses now have more work to do with my father.

Consequently, we have noticed lapses in his care, such as being left in a wheelchair for how many hours?

I found my father this past Saturday night lying on his bed without his undergarments or covers and a diaper beside him which he had removed. Both of his roommates were sound asleep but one of their televisions was blaring.

My father would be mortified at the indignity if we ‘had him back’.
Having made my concerns known at a ‘families’ meeting and privately to the Manager, Patient Care and Safety, I will be interested to see what happens.

Regards,
MQ

January 30, 2013

Mr. Michael Blais,
President, Canadian Veterans’ Advocacy

Dear Michael,

I am writing to you about the noticeable difference for the worse, on the third floor of the Sunnybrook Veterans’ Residence; my Dad’s floor.

My 87-year-old Dad had a stroke on December 26, 2012. Before that, he had made great progress. He went from zipping around in his wheelchair to now being dependent on the nurses for all his needs. He is paralyzed on his right side and his mouth droops on one side.

There have been times that I was uneasy about his handling since he is now a stroke patient and has dementia. I understand that there is a certain way to handle paralyzed limbs in a stroke victim.
As well, recently, the woman we have hired to be my Dad’s companion was ‘reprimanded’ by the nurse on duty for an imagined wrongdoing!

The Manager of Patient Care and Safety was notified the next day and is looking into this awful occurrence.

Well, we shall see the outcome, Michael!

Yours truly,
SR

 

No comments:

Post a Comment